Saturday, December 29, 2007

Trust

I began reading “Ruthless Trust” today written by one of my favorite authors, Brennan Manning.


Brennan shares this powerful story about a man planning to work at the "house of the dieing" for three months in Calcutta hoping to find an answer as to how he might live the rest of his life. On the first morning he saw Mother Teresa and asked her to pray for him.

He asked her to pray that he would have clarity for his future.

Her response was “No, I will not do that. Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and must let go of.” After the man said that it seemed to him as though she always had clarity she laughed and said, “I have never had clarity; what I have always had is trust. So I will pray that you trust God.”

Lately, since I am going to be graduating soon from the university, I have turned some of my thoughts and prayers towards finding clarity about what's next in life, especially after I return from Peru. So much will happen in those four months.

Mother Teresa challenges me to consider that perhaps the pursuit for clarity is exactly what I need to let go of, that there is more to life than knowing what's going to happen next, that perhaps learning to trust God regardless of the circumstances is more important.