Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Learning

The other day I was talking with a friend about expectations for the trip to Peru and I realized that I really don't have expectations so much as hopes. I hope to learn a lot from those we will be serving (the street kids, the girls from the red light districts...), as well as the team who has already been working there and anyone else I might meet. I hope to let go of and be freed of fears and restraints that I put on myself to step out, to grow in confidence with the words God speaks to me saying "I trust you; take that step."

One big lesson that I am learning lately is patience. I am learning to understand more how much I don't have to prove myself to God, that He loves me for who I am and He is guiding me and transforming my mind, heart, and spirit into greater love, compassion, humility, service, mercy, justice, and truth. I am learning that even if I grow very little, if I seem to never conquer bad habits or selfish ambition, or if I seem to backslide He is there, holding me by my right hand. We are children so greatly loved by a Father of Love.

A Psalm of David has really encouraged me lately...

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
Even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast...
Even the darkness will not be dark to you;
The night will shine like the day
For darkness is as light to you."
- taken from Psalm 139

in His loving arms,
Joel

1 comment:

Carita said...

:) i love your spirit. have a wonderful night, joelfriend.