Friday, December 14, 2007

I just got done with finals this Wed. and moved out of my dorm room cause I won't be there in the spring. It was kind of weird. I'm gonna miss people, though I'm glad to get to know the people that I'll be going to Peru with and the opportunity to learn and grow while we are in Peru. This is such an awesome opportunity we have. It just hit me today how much God has given me so that I can bless those who do not have access to all I do since I am from this country of abundance.

I hope I don't squander what I have to build my own world that won't matter when I die. I hope that I will use the abundance I have been blessed with to provide life to others who need what I might squander.

I recently heard that there was a scientific study of 2,400 hours of television to find out what the message of television was? Here's the message. "You are the most important thing on the earth. Your immediate desires are important. Do it your way."

Jesus' message is so much more redeeming. "This is my command: that you love each other."

The main message of the American media to the world is that to be happy we need 'things', that life is about you getting what You want in YOUR world. Does indulging really produce long-lasting happiness? Jesus tells me to love others (even my enemies), to help the people who are in need, to hold the hand of an elderly woman in a nursing home and be with her, to smile at someone and sincerely ask them how they are doing?

May I learn to live by what I need, and to give what I don't. I struggle so much with such a task.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Joel,

I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts from Peru. I'll keep your preparations and heart in my prayers...

LaurenRMoore said...

Are you going to Lima soon? (Ok, I know I don't know you so this is a little weird, but I saw your group on facebook)

I am leaving for Lima January 25th and will be living there/attending La Católica/ working in the pueblos jóvenes for 11 months.

Part of that will be continuing mission work when from when I lived there for 6 weeks this past summer. its an amazing country, amazing people, and God is doing some amazing work-- you and I both are lucky to go be part of it.

I'd love to chat sometime! check out my blog: www.laurenrmoore.blogspot.com
or my email is laurenrmoore@gmail.com

Dios te bendiga!
Lauren Moore

::athada:: said...

Too many commercials?
Take a dose of Adbusters and call me in the morning...
www.adbusters.org/media/
flash/slow_down_week/