Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Apostle Paul once wrote, "put no confidence in the flesh" (and by flesh he means his own abilities and accomplishments). Then he continues, "If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more" (then he lists off all of his abilities and accomplishments before he knew Jesus, which pretty much announced that he was "The Man" in his time...he had everything). THEN he says, "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ."

It's been hard considering the loss of closeness with a lot of my friends here at school while I'm in Peru. When Paul realized that Jesus was real, when he realized that his whole concept of religion and God was way off (even though he was considered a very religious man at that time), he let go of everything because he knew that Jesus was it. He had to let go of friends, popular culture, possessions, status, security, familiarity, etc. to seek after the Truth that Jesus had revealed to him. Even the people who followed Jesus wouldn't accept him because of his past with persecuting them (putting them in prison, etc.). He had nearly no one when he chose to follow Jesus. Ten years went by before he was accepted by the followers of Jesus. I know nothing of great accomplishment followed by great loss as Paul did. And Paul chose to lose it all.


My heart is still being prepared to go, slowly. Right now I am learning to let go.

No comments: