Monday, February 18, 2008

Walking From Affluence To Solidarity

The other day we (the servant team and I) were walking up some stairs from under the road and I saw a man sitting on the side with a sign around his neck begging.  I don't know what the sign said because I averted my eyes not knowing what else to do.  I didn't feel that I had the option to talk with him partially because I didn't know how to speak Spanish that well and I didn't want to slow down the group, so the only thing I felt I could do was to just walk past him and avert my eyes.

We sat down to write about our surroundings about one hundred feet from him, though we couldn't see him anymore.  Rachel was sitting by me and mentioned that she was thinking about getting him a muffin and bringing it to him.  To be honest, I wasn't really comfortable with that.  I guess I felt like it would be better if we could at least talk with him or something, not just give him a muffin and leave, but build a relationship.  But since we couldn't really do that, I thought, 'why do it then?'  It's such a small thing, but I didn't know when the last time he ate was.

Rachel went and got a muffin while I kept writing, and then we both went back to the man.  As we walked up a police officer was making him move further down the stairs to kind of hide him more so that he couldn't be seen so much.  We then walked up to him.  Rachel handed him the muffin explaining what it was.  As I looked at his face I noticed that he was blind.  I took his hand for a moment and said "Dios te bendiga" (God bless you).  I wish there was more we could do.

There is so much poverty here.  And I feel that I don't just want to walk around giving people muffins and saying "God bless you."  I mean it with all my heart and find joy in giving and fulfilling immediate needs, but I want to do more than that.  I don't know what to do.  

I guess that's why I was opposed to getting the guy a muffin when Rachel suggested it.  I want to help him find the opportunity for a job so he can get his own muffins.  He is more than a beggar.  I understand that immediate needs are important too, but I want to do sustainable development.  When I see a beggar, I want to be able to create a program that will educate and train beggars (disabled or not) so that they can find sustainable work or for those who can't work to have a place/center where they can be loved and cared for within a supportive community.  Then I can offer something more than a moment of satisfaction.  More than hunger met, but also a relationship where they can trust and/or a job where they can support themselves.  I want to restore their dignity in the eyes of the world.

I have yet so much to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joel, your heart is right where it should be. I think Peter and John felt the same way when they passed the lame beggar in Jerusalem at the temple gate. In their own minds they had to be thinking, "How have we missed this man? All our work and he's still not with us." The truth is the work is never finished. Even Jesus told us, "The poor you will always have with you." At the risk of being misunderstood, let me say it's not all bad. The opportunity to serve this man has planted the seed of love in his heart. One day your dream may become reality. If it doesn't, you haven't done the world a disservice. Keep giving out muffins as long as you can, but one day God may ask you to give more than that. The question then is "Are you ready for that?"

Much love.