Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Luis

Luis, now 27 and married with a son, used to be a leader in the streets of Albacete. He took a lot of drugs, drank alcohol, and fought a lot. Before he came to Spain he claimed faith in God. When he arrived from Ecuador two years ago he began rebelling. But even with his back turned, God didn’t give up on him. Now, since he has returned to God's arms and cut off his drug addiction he spends much of his life in the places he left behind to share the same life he has received with youth who are in the same place he once was.

Luis has explained to me that the youth live with their families, but hang out in the streets most of the time with drugs, alcohol, and sex as their salvation, their life.

Luis and I drive around to their hang-out spots (usually in parks or on side streets), and Luis talks with them. I say Luis talks with them because I just stand there. The Spanish in Spain is different from Latin American Spanish so it’s even harder for me to communicate with the youth than it is with my family or Luis, which isn’t always easy in itself. So I stand, listen, and pray.

This past week Luis had four guys over to his apartment. These guys knew him before and after his change and he’s been sharing, little by little, the grace of God with them. They’ve never been ready to accept, but that day, after watching a film called “The Switchblade and the Cross,” as I sat there sitting, listening, and praying things were different. After some discussion three of them chose to follow Jesus. Luis and I prayed for them and since then have talked with them some more.

No comments: